Meeting of the Board of Directors
Glebe Community Centre Multi-Purpose Room
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Present: Scott Blurton, Darlene Charron, Chris McCann, Sylvia Milne, Sue Stefko
1. Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Presentation – Parks – Jeannette Krabicka, Parks and Facilities Planning, City of Ottawa
Background: Dalhousie South Park was slated for renewal in 2017 as part of a life-cycle replacement. As of now, some of the monies allocated by the city have already been spent on designs. Our Councillor, David Chernushenko is also contributing some funds (cash in lieu of parkland) to this project.
Based on G.A.C.A. member survey results regarding this Park, the following items were a priority:
- Maintain green space but improve quality of grass.
- Multi-age structure.
- Keep, but relocate gazebo.
- Smaller sandbox but use wood chips (to avoid the sand being used as a litter box by neighbourhood cats).
- Water source
- Trike track
Items which could not be considered due to costs and proximity to Chamberlain Park and Brewer Park were:
- A splash pad.
- A rink.
Two designs were presented to the board. Both designs involved a structure platform of 6 feet high with various activities for children to do and that could be used 9 months out of the year. The gazebo would be relocated closer to the fence of the park (Bell Street South).
Recommendations by board:
- Include a toddler slide instead of just one for older children. Eliminate one of the smaller rope climbing attachments.
- Remove dead trees and include a set of posts for children to use to play soccer.
3. Approval of the Agenda
Moved by: ***
Seconded by: ***
4. Amendments/Acceptance of minutes of last meeting – June 21, 2017.
Amendments: Sylvia moved that minutes from the June 21st meeting be adopted as amended.
Seconded by: Chris
5. Business arising from minutes
None to report.
6. Committee Reports
Treasurer’s Report- Chris McCann
Our G.A.C.A. account is being transferred to Your Credit Union at 14 Chamberlain Avenue, Ottawa. Tel: 613-238-8001
Balance in account is: Over $2000.
Planning: Sylvia Milne and Chris McCann
265 Carling – Taggart – Update and Motion
Sylvia and Chris have attended numerous meetings in regards to this development. A meeting is scheduled for September 21st with the community to discuss and show the revised plans.
- One new membership. Total is now 68. In 2017, we had 102 members. In 2016, we were at 91 members.
- Sue voiced her concern that our leadership is leaving for various reasons. We need to consider how to carry our board forward. New blood is needed.
- How is the Dow’s Lake Association moving forward?
- Our community involvement has dwindled.
- Should our Constitution be more flexible?
- More issues driven?
- What are some ideas for recruiting new members?
- Do we need more social events?
- Sylvia mentioned that people we are trying to recruit may be at our next AGM when the updated design for our Park is included in the agenda.
- Fees for GCA are currently at $2. This should be maintained and not increased based on the number of memberships we have.
Movie Night in The Park
Thank you to Sue Stefko for coordinating this.
Action Item: Thank You cards to co-owner of Mayfair Theatre for free movie passes and to the neighbour who provided the power.
Fall Cleani ng of the Park – Being coordinated by Sue.
Scott and Sue are putting up posters to advertise the event.
Date: Saturday, September 30
Start Time: 10:30 a.m.
AGM – Date is November 8th at 6:30 p.m.
7. Other Business
Flowers for Peggy Kampouris who is recuperating. Scott to buy flowers and members of the board will reimburse him.
8. Next Meeting
Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Glebe Community Centre
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.