GACA Board Meeting – June 18, 2019

Minutes, Glebe Annex Community Association Executive Meeting – Tuesday, June 18th, 2019
Location: Glebe Community Centre, 175 Third Ave, Meeting Room

Present:

  • Carrie Bolton
  • Joanne Benoit
  • Gabrielle Dallaporta
  • David Perkins
  • Sue Stefko
  • Corinne Meadows
  • Peggy Kampouris

1. Call to Order

  • The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.
  • Sue thanked the new members, who each introduced themselves and said a few introductory words. Sue welcomed returning board members back.

2. Approval of Agenda

  • A motion was made to accept the agenda with an amendment to include the membership campaign, under business arising from the Minutes of April 16th. The motion was made by Sue and seconded by Carrie. A second motion was made by Joanne to provide an update on the Glebe Garage sale, also under business arising. This motion was seconded by David and carried.

3. Acceptance of minutes of the April 16, 2019 board meeting

  • A motion to accept the minutes of April 16th was made by David and seconded by Carrie, carried.

4. Business Arising from the Minutes of April 16, 2019

4.1 Glebe Garage Sale – Joanne

  • It was decided that due to everyone’s busy schedules, there was too much work required, and the minimum financial return would not make it worthwhile. Therefore, GACA did not have a table at this year’s Glebe sale. It was not a big money maker last year, about $100 was made selling plants and water. Last year the plants were donated, this year we would have had to purchase them. The investment would be buying a plant for $1 and then selling it for $2.

4.2 Membership Campaign – Sue

  • Our membership campaign is getting into full swing. Corporate members pay $50, we currently have two. Memberships can be purchased online. Two dollars of each $10 membership fee goes to the Glebe Community Association, as we are under the GCA umbrella – we get benefits for our fees, such as this meeting space.
  • Board members were requested that if they can’t reach current members when they canvass them, to let Sue know and she can reach out from the GACA email account to them.

5. Election of New GACA Board Members and 2019/2020 Board Dates – Sue

5.1

  • GACA executive positions include: President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Areas needing GACA representatives include parks and green space, safety, planning/development, membership and outreach, and traffic and transportation. David takes care of the GACA website and social media. When it comes to development, individual developments include the Civic hospital (Sue is on the engagement committee), and the Taggart building (275 Carling), which Sylvia is taking care of. 289 Carling and 291 Carling are available if anyone wants to represent these. We are assured some green space at 291 Carling; this is part of the agreement between the Algonquins of Ontario and the Canada Lands Company.
  • President: Sue was re-elected as president. The Vice President’s role is to support the president and is responsible for running the board meetings if the President is not there. Gabrielle was elected as Vice President. Joanne will remain as secretary, Maja as Treasurer. In order to cut our monthly costs, Gabrielle offered to research other bank options.
  • If someone does not have a position, they are considered a board member at large. They may have a portfolio if they choose. Corrine accepted taking on parks and green space. Peggy will take on security and will provide her expertise on files such as traffic and transportation. Carrie will continue with the environmental and planning areas she has been working on.
  • It could be good to work with the work with the GCA on their traffic committee, particularly regarding reducing speed limits. As soon as the new buildings are completed, there will be more pedestrians. The 30-speed limit is currently a trial. The GCA has a Development & Planning committee, the meetings are very Glebe focused ,but we also have not been very present. FCA also has a planning group that is also helpful to attend.
  • Membership and community outreach: we still struggle to get and keep organized, and also need to reach out to apartments and condos. It was suggested that we have a strategy meeting separately, to look at how we can increase our membership. Investing more effort into our Facebook page could generate more community interest and engagement.

5.2

  • 2019/2020 Board Dates – available dates for the 2020 board dates include the first and third Tuesday of the month. Commencing in January 2020, it was agreed that we will move our meetings to the first Tuesday of the month. They will continue the third Tuesday of the month until the end of this year.

6. Park Party (Gabrielle)

  • The park party starts at 1 p.m. this Saturday
  • There will be BBQ hotdogs, veggie dogs, chips, soft drinks, and ice cream treats.
  • Our food has been sponsored from Abbas, and with gift cards donated from McKeen’s Metro and Massine’s Independent grocer.
  • CKCU, the Carleton University radio station, will be there.
  • The Ottawa Art Gallery will have their pop-up tent with art activities.
  • There will be face painting.
  • Sparky from the Ottawa Fury will be in attendance for an hour.
  • Gabrielle will host games – one will be a soccer game when Sparky is on site.
  • There are many prizes such as MacDonald’s coupons, lots of museum passes, gift cards for the NAC, Haunted Walk tickets, and more
  • Set up will take place around 12:00 p.m. – please come and help if you can.

7. Adopt a Park Renewal Term for Dalhousie South Park (Sue)

  • GACA adopted Dalhousie South Park, it has been five years and the adoption is up for renewal. The only requirement is that we commit to doing two clean-ups a year. The commitment is a 2-year minimum up to a 5-year maximum. Renewal for 5 years was supported unanimously. We would possibly like to propose the possibility of having a wildlife garden, which we will need to inform the city about. If so, Sue will put another grant application in for a planter.

8. General Information (Sue)

8.1

  • Ottawa Centre Candidate Debate for the federal election – GACA Volunteers are needed to attend the debate organization meetings and help at the event. The debate will be held on September 25th. Gabrielle and Corinne would both like to help with this.

8.2

  • The organization StopGap has made a request to GACA for finances and/or for volunteer help. The organization’s goal is to make communities more accessible, for example by building accessible ramps. It was felt that we are unable to provide support at this time.

8.3

  • If a GACA board member is interested in attending, there is a Ward Council Wednesday, June 26th, which will be focussed on cash in lieu of parkland. The meeting takes place at Heron Park at 6:30 p.m. Corinne agreed to attend, along with Sue.

9. Upcoming Community Consultations (Sue)

  • Lebreton Flats – there is an online survey available to provide feedback on this development.
  • 291 Carling – CLC will soon be announcing their next consultation meeting.
  • There will be another public consultation for the Bank Street height and character study on June 20th for those who would like to attend.
  • Urban councillors will be hosting a public consultation on the Official Plan at City Hall on Monday June 24th.

10. Ottawa Official Plan and the Federation of Citizens Associations of Ottawa (FCA) (Carrie)

  • There will be an Official Plan meeting on June 26th. The FCA are engaged in this process.
  • The FCA is looking for members to participate in their planning committee.

11. Adjournment:

  • The meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.