Executive Meeting – Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 6:30 PM
Glebe Community Centre Meeting Room
Call to Order – 6:30 PM
Present: Scott Blurton, Darlene Charron, Chris McCann, Sue Stefko, Peggy Kampouris, Larissa Volinets Schieven
Amendments/Approval of Agenda
- Peggy moved to approve the Agenda. Darlene seconded the motion. Agenda adopted.
Amendments/Acceptance of Minutes of Last Meeting (November 16, 2016)
- A number of changes were suggested. Minutes to be adjusted accordingly.
- Action: Minutes to be sent out in draft with amendments. Defer approval of minutes.
Business Arising from Minutes from November 16, 2016
- Scott sent an email blast to members with information on development proposals.
- Responses forwarded to Sue for review and reply.
- Letter drafted by Sylvie regarding 265 Carling sent to GACA members.
- Action: Peggy submitted crime statistics. To follow up.
- Action: Brenda Quinlan will provide names of previous membership canvassers.
- Action: To confirm email addresses of those that are bouncing back.
Parks – Sue Stefko
- Bell St. Park (near apartment building nearest to Carling)
- Sue sent letter to MP Catherine McKenna’s office. Response indicated only that email would be passed on to PSPC.
- Meeting request but no response yet.
- Dalhousie South Park
- Waiting to see whether on 2018 park improvement plan. Initially slated for 2017, then dropped to 2018. Awaiting update.
- Sue provided a lengthy message on what can be done. No reply received.
- Intention to seek other grants to complement renewal funds, as renewal funds will not suffice.
- Park planner indicated she would assist to draw up designs once funding determined.
Treasurer’s Report – Chris McCann
- BF from previous meeting to transfer account from RBC to Your Credit Union.
- Motion put forward by Scott to transfer funds in GACA account from RBC to Your Credit Union at earliest convenience. Darlene seconded the motion. Motion carried.
- Action: Chris to draft letter and documentation to credit union. Set meeting with four signing authorities (proposed: treasurer, secretary, past president, president).
- Bank balance: $668 operating revenue
Planning – Chris McCann, Sue Stefko
- 265 Carling
- No update.
- Meeting set 2-3 times with Chris. Each time, Taggart representative unavailable.
- No meeting held yet.
- Proposed meeting objective:
- Discuss GACA position paper re: proposed development.
- Scheduled for January 31, 2017. Chris to attend with Glebe Community Association Caroline McKenzie.
- 289 Carling
- Sue sent update received from City planner to neighbours.
- City applied but Feds not in financial position to commit this year.
- No further update.
- 1-2 people indicated interest in following developments.
- Feds must pay themselves what it’s worth. Internal transfer of money to Canada Lands for actual value of property to be able to give it to City.
- Won’t happen in 2016 fiscal year – financial considerations
- To March 31, 2017 (fiscal year 2017 ends)
- Land not transferred until earliest 2018.
- City said until actively considered, comments will be parked.
- Write in later when consideration is actually given.
- ATIP for some departments in City and ESDC to cross-reference information from City with discussions.
- Extensions on both.
- Now indicating smaller number of units (initially 45 units).
- Sue sent update received from City planner to neighbours.
- Textbook Suites
- Reported in news. Sent by neighbours.
- Booth St Complex
- Email about information meeting January 24, 2017, at St. Anthony’s banquet hall.
- To discuss development of lands at Boot St Complex.
Security – Peggy Kampouris
- Henry Street
- Ongoing issues in 24 and 26 Henry Street at LeBreton.
- Left unit in block of three owned by another owner. 24 and 26, as well as 331A LeBreton all owned by same individual (landlord).
- Neighbours have reported concerns with tenants e.g. garbage, property standards, fights, short-term traffic, broken window, house full of people, etc.
- Meeting with Community Policing Officer, brought photos etc. Const. Dawn Neilly also on legal rooming house committee. Confirmed the property is not a legal rooming house.
- By-law contacted. Owner fined $250 for garbage and additional $2,400.
- Garbage strewn across property when most troublesome individual moving out.
- Police keeping an eye on property.
- Ottawa Booth services van seen. Confirmed that housing team that find homes for homeless individuals placing people there.
- Discussions with Const. Neilly
- Emphasis on mobilizing people to report crimes. Only one call for Police for the Booth St. address. Point of reporting is to track crime statistics for police resources.
- 25 attempted break-in at Peggy’s home. Third time that year.
- Key is for neighbours to report even attempted crimes and any suspicious activities.
- Changes to community policing
- New officer assigned. Glebe Annex amalgamated into Centretown area.
- To set up meeting with new officer to meet and introduce to neighbourhood safety and security concerns.
- Engagement in community
- Neighbourhood watch.
- Call and report.
- Police assign resources based on calls for service.
- Assign resources.
- Plan meeting to engage neighbours in efforts.
- Send out note to members providing information about free home security inspection, statistics on crime, suggestions, and reinforce needs for reporting.
- Elgin St. Redevelopment
- Bigger sidewalks, no bike lanes, less parking.
Roads and Safety – Darlene Charron
- Darlene made call to 311 re: bus route 6 on Glebe Ave.
- Bus could barely make it up the street. Too narrow with parked.
- Driver indicated he would refuse if not cleared. Drivers are permitted to refuse to drive for safety reasons.
- Bell St. S. emergency route not cleared.
- 311 contacted re: failure to clear.
Membership – Scott Blurton
- Brenda Quinlan will continue administrative of membership.
- Action: Organize and schedule membership blitz.
- Proposed to tie this to meeting on safety/security.
- Scott will coordinate canvassing efforts.
FCA Report – Scott Blurton
- Current meeting simultaneously with GACA meeting.
- R4 recommendation distributed.
- Changing zoning, coach houses.
- Community Social Services and Partnerships Survey
- Sent to all members to be completed as desired.
Glebe Report – Sue Stefko
- Nothing to report.
- Scott to complete this month’s submission.
- Include plan for community meeting with community police officer.
- Information on new community officer.
Next Meeting – February 15, 2017, at 6:30 PM.
- Motion to adjourn put forward by Chris McCann. Seconded by Sue Stefko. Motion carried.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM.