Glebe Annex Community Association Meeting of the Board of Directors – 20 November 2013

Present:  Sylvia Milne, Lisa Furrie, Iain Wood, Mary McIninch, David Perkins, Darlene Charron, Gina Clark, Brenda Quinlan, Chris McCann, Peggy Kampouris

The meeting was called to order at 7:02pm.


Sylvia Milne welcomed everyone to the seventh meeting of the Board of Directors of the Glebe Annex Community Association (GACA).

Approval of the agenda

Sylvia proposed that a discussion about Association holiday cards be added to the agenda. Peggy put forward a motion to accept the agenda; Mary seconded the motion.

Approval of the previous meeting’s minutes

Iain put forward a motion to accept the agenda; David seconded the motion.

Business arising from previous minutes

There was no business arising from the minutes.

New business

Committee reports for the upcoming AGM

Chris told the group that he has done a cash flow report; however, the final report is dependent on a few factors. Namely, the account’s opening balance and the amount spent on the access to information request (ATIP). Iain said that he would cover the cost of the ATIP request. Sylvia added that she would cover the cost of GACA’s membership in the Federation of Community Associations (FCA). The cash flow report balances with the assumption of nine members at the Association’s formation and the addition of 54 new members.

Brenda updated the group on the membership drive. Nine volunteers canvassed the neighbourhood. There are currently 64 Association members. Brenda identified two goals for 2014: developing a welcome package and identifying improvements for next year’s membership drive.

Darlene updated the board on the fall’s successful clean-up campaign. Not only did a dedicated group of volunteers clean up the neighbourhood, including the Dalhousie South Park, but the Association attracted some new members during the clean-up. Darlene added that it is important for there to be ongoing cleaning of the neighbourhood; this would help foster neighbourhood pride.

Turning to the work of the traffic committee, Peggy said that the committee is monitoring the Ministry of Transport’s work to replace the bridge at Bronson Avenue. This is a long-term project, she said, that she will keep the Board informed about.

The neighbourhood’s correct Community Police Centre Officer has been identified as Andrew Milton. Officer Milton will be at the AGM.

Peggy said she has just received the draft report from the community safety audit. She will review the report and provide feedback accordingly. For instance, she said she wants to know how the audit team categorized the priorities. Once the report is finalized, Peggy will distribute it to interested parties.

Peggy added that she met with presidents and representatives from neighbouring community associations to discuss issues around planned developments. The goal is to have a single voice on these issues. All of these neighbourhoods are concerned about traffic, Peggy said. There might be interest in doing another traffic study, she said. It would be an interesting exercise to do a joint traffic study; this might help the city to see outside of its current linear way of thinking.

Mary said that cash-in-lieu of parkland monies are available from the city. GACA should identify its priorities for those funds. Requests for funds are due to the city by the end of December.

Mary added that the Dalhousie South Park is not scheduled for renewal until 2017; however, the current play equipment cannot wait that long to be replaced.

There is also a city-sponsored adopt-a-park program. A member of the Glebe Community Association parks’ committee will be helping GACA with this process.

Since the Association was formed, the communications committee has drafted a constitution and a website, as well as numerous articles for The Glebe Report. In terms of objectives for 2014, Iain said that GACA could expand its website, develop a social media outreach campaign and engage more through print media. There is also a role that the Association can play in the upcoming municipal election. There is an opportunity to engage with candidates in a non-political way. Sylvia added that the FCA will also be working on that front.

Turning to planning and development, Sylvia said that her report to the AGM will summarize the Association’s work on that front. Concerns around development were the catalyst for the Association’s formation. Like the Glebe, our neighbourhood does not have a Community Development Plan. Sylvia said she is not sure if that is a good thing or not; she will discuss the issue with the Glebe Community Association and others. As well, our area is not one that has been slated for intensification; however, this is happening nonetheless. We are now in a position where we can react to issues quickly as they arise. As well, we now have access to information that we did not have previously.

Other business

Sylvia told the group that the Salvation Army Kettle Campaign is looking for volunteers. The Salvation Army has contacted every community association to ask for volunteers.

Action: Sylvia will mention this call for volunteers at the AGM.

The Board discussed whether or not to send holiday cards to members and city officials.

Action: David will contact a local artist who did a sketch of Abba’s as part of his series on confectionaries.

Councillor Chernushenko has asked community associations to put together “wish lists” for 2014. On the table as possible areas of focus for GACA are the following: new green/park space; traffic calming measures; non-profit housing; and bike lanes, parking and other infrastructure. Sylvia identified parks and traffic calming as two issues of interest in our area.

David added that bike lanes could be put forward as the third possible area of interest. He suggested being specific and focusing on the connecting points between areas (Bronson/Powell, Booth/Orangeville, etc.).

Sylvia said this could be expanded as bike/pedestrian safety measures at intersections. She added that our neighbourhood would benefit from the development of a community meeting place.

Gina motioned to adjourn the meeting at 8:25; this was seconded by Mary.