GACA Board Meeting – February 15, 2017

Glebe Community Centre Meeting Room
Call to Order – 6:35 PM
Present: Scott Blurton, Darlene Charron, Chris McCann, Larissa Volinets Schieven

Amendments/Approval of Agenda

Chris moved to approve the Agenda. Darlene seconded the motion. Agenda adopted.

Amendments/Acceptance of Minutes of Last Meeting (November 16, 2016)

Chris moved. Larissa approved.

Amendments/Acceptance of Minutes of Last Meeting (January 18, 2017)

Minor changes made. To be updated and sent.
Darlene moved to approve. Scott seconded. Approved.

Business Arising from Minutes from January 18, 2017


Parks – Sue Stefko (relayed by Scott)

Park at Bell/Carling

  • Bluff area” – transferred to CLC as of Thursday February 9, 2017
    • 401 LeBreton S. / 299 Carling (City)
  • Hoping for a small park to be used as park land
  • Sent email to David Chernushenko
  • Strategic disposal CLC
  • Hope that City would support community space, community garden, etc.
  • Sue suggested options and asked for support and inquired who to approach
  • Reached out to Catherine McKenna’s office requesting support
  • Don’t want conflict with what Ottawa East is doing/getting

Cleaning the Capital – Saturday April 29, 2017

  • Rain date: May 6, 2017
  • Potential of sponsor from BCU
  • To determine whether potential for sponsoring for some food
  • Larissa to determine what can be provided/arrangements

Treasurer’s Report – Chris McCann

  • No change from last year, but for 4$ fee deducted
  • Operating revenue: $664

Planning – Chris McCann, Sue Stefko (by email)

  • 265 Carling
    • Sent notice of passing to some people involved in original appeal
    • Chris filling out OMB appeal
    • Proceed with OMB appeal
    • Meeting next week – in Chris’ absence
    • Wait until meeting to see what Taggart is suggesting
    • Prepare appeal based on what is known now
    • Last time to launch appeal: March 6, 2017, 4:30 pm
    • With $300 certified cheque to register with OMB
    • Executive Approval for Scott and Chris to sign cheque
      • Motion by Darlene, seconded by Scott. Motion carried.
  • 289 Carling – email update from Sue
    • Environmental testing being done
    • City has not purchased property yet
    • Delayed now because no money in federal budget for this in current year
    • No application yet – environmental assessment first
    • Before taking ownership
    • CLC used to help remediate – regulations changed
    • RFP not until fall – not high on priority list
    • Chernushenko to engage community
  • GCA planning committee
    • 770 Bronson approved – Textbook Suites
    • Coffee shop on corner – Jaber
    • 667 Bank St. – La Strada parking lot
      • No update
      • Neighbours opposing
    • 567 Cambridge – King’s Daughter
      • No update
    • 852 Bank – Service Station
      • Signage up, positively received
    • Beer store – contentious
      • GCA proposal by planning committee – ignored
      • Proposing 8 story building – 4 storeys abutting townhomes
    • 5th and Bank – where fire was
      • Rumours about businesses going in?
    • Old LCBO – no discussion
  • Ottawa Public Library
    • Approved new location at LeBreton flats – end of Bronson at triangle
    • New joint venture Library and Archives Canada and OPL
    • Controversy over site – no agreement over where else to put it
    • Existing main library to be sold
    • Discussion of branch downtown

Security – Peggy Kampouris (by email update)

  • Henry Street
    • Getting a light in the laneway
    • Brought to GACA’s attention by Maeve
    • Thanks to Sue for research regarding City land registry
    • Thanks to Peggy for work on security statistics
  • Community information session
    • GCA doing one – invited new officer
    • Should GACA do one? Invite to Cleaning the Capital?
    • June meeting at Park for information session with Community officer to be considered


  • Brenda Quinlan will continue administrative parts of membership.
  • Action: Organize and schedule membership blitz
  • Proposed to tie this to meeting on safety/security
  • Scott will coordinate canvassing efforts
  • Membership drive in May
  • DWSell membership at events

FCA Report

  • Current meeting simultaneously with GACA meeting.
  • Motion to pay FCA membership to be brought at next meeting

Glebe Report

  • Scott provided article for feedback
  • Some changes already made
  • To be sent soon

Next Meeting

March 15, 2017, at 6:30 PM.


  • Motion to adjourn put forward by Chris McCann. Seconded by Darlene Charron. Motion carried.
  • Meeting adjourned at 7:23 PM.

About Author