Last week the Ottawa Police Break and Enter Section announced a series of daytime residential break and enters in the areas of Kanata, Stittsville, Barrhaven and Orleans.
While there has not been an increase of crime reported in the downtown core, our Community Police Officer Constable Lemieux asked us to remind the community to be diligent about locking doors/windows and vehicles, as well as to report suspicious behaviour if seen.
- The Ottawa Police shared some tips below to keep homes safe.
- Don’t post on social media if you are going away on vacation. Also, avoid posting vacation photos until you have returned home.
- Have someone shovel the driveway, collect the mail and take out the garbage.
- Set some lights on timers (set the timer to random, if possible).
- If you’ve purchased valuables items like electronics, cut up the boxes so as not to advertise that you have these expensive items.
- If you are going to keep your valuables at home, store them in a proper safe, in a properly secured location. Use a location other than the bedroom or closet for your valuables.