GACA Board Meeting – May 4, 2021

Glebe Annex Community Association (GACA)
Board Meeting – Tuesday May 4th, 2021 7:00 p.m.
Held Via Zoom

Present:  Annalisa Salonius, Carrie Bolton, Cathy, David Perkins, Gabrielle Dallaporta, Joanne Benoit, Maja Rakocevic, Robert Logie, Sue Stefko, Jonathan McLeod (Assistant, Office of Shawn Menard, Councillor, Capital Ward)

1. Call to Order and Approval of the Agenda

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. with approval of the agenda.

2. Approval of April 6, 2021 Minutes

The minutes were approved.

3. Business Arising from the Minutes of April 6

There was no business arising from the last minutes.

4. General Update – Sue

4.1   Glebe Community Association Meeting – Bus Route #10

The GCA passed a motion to write a letter to OC Transpo requesting that they change the current route of bus number 10. This bus runs along Bronson. They are asking that the route be extended to end at Rideau Station – it currently stops at Lyon Station. If you are going to the Rideau Station area, you need to take the LRT for two stops; it is not a good connection. The GCA is also asking that once service returns to normal levels, the #10 be made a true frequent service route that properly serves the inner urban neighbourhoods. There was full support for GACA supporting this effort.  This change would serve our community much better.  Jon expressed that the Councillor’s office is not happy with the current situation and has been asking for this for a long time. Having the associations send in letters would support the Councillor’s office. Rideau Centre is a hub – not Lyon or Parliament. GACA will write OC Transpo requesting these changes.

4.2 iContribute

Three volunteers stepped up from the iContribute app to help with the spring clean-up. Unfortunately, the spring clean-up has been postponed by the city until further notice due to Covid restrictions.

4.3 Pollinator Garden

We still have not heard from the city for approval to move forward.

4.4 JHS – 289 Carling

The project is moving along well.  A portion of Bell Street between Maclean and Carling is closed.  An estimated closure for westbound Carling Avenue is expected to take place in early June for a few days.  There are community meetings being hosted by JHS to give updates, which are open to everyone.

4.5 – 7 Maclean

The site has been torn down and flattened – they did a good clean up job after the demolition; two trees are remaining. It would be great if they could stay permanently.

4.6  Katasa – 299 Carling

Katasa has decided not to present at our AGM, which was disappointing.

5. Treasurer – Report – Maja

RBC reversed the error of a duplicated cheque withdrawal for $35.00. Maja is issuing Gabrielle’s cheque to reimburse her for a payment made to Zoom for our AGM.  It will be great to have everything up to date for the AGM financial report.  Maja has sent Annalisa the treasurer documents for her review before taking over as treasurer. Currently Sue, Joanne and Maja have signing authority. We need to add Gabrielle, and switch Annalisa for Maja, as treasurer.  Maja will draft a letter to RBC to reflect these changes.

6. AGM – Sue/Gabrielle

Gabrielle will start the AGM with a zoom intro, explaining the call format. Depending on how many people are on the call, we may not have enough time to answer all questions. Participants will be notified that they can also email questions if they did not get theirs answered, and we will follow-up with them. We will be recording the meeting for our purposes, but we will not be posting the recording online.  Gabrielle will do a 10-minute intro on the traffic item. She will discuss the history, issues and how we got to where we are. Ottawa Traffic Service staff and Councillor Menard will speak on the specific issues. Participants on the call will be muted unless they are presenting or asking questions.  We will reach out to the community about the upcoming AGM.  There is an article coming out in the Glebe Report on May 14th with AGM details and a newsletter will be sent out with details, and we will poster.

7. Councillor’s Office Update – Jon

7.1 Carling Avenue

A meeting was held today on possible temporary safety measures on Carling – Preston and Sherwood area up to Cambridge. They are hoping to put in bike lanes with big traffic cones. This is a work in progress, but it is getting started.  They will be having a meeting soon with staff regarding where the extra traffic funds will be coming from. There is a city special account for traffic spending, apart from the Councillor’s budget.

7.2 Meeting with MTO

They had a meeting on the 417 bridge replacements.  There was not a lot of info specifically regarding the pedestrian crossing at Bronson. The Booth Street Bridge and Rochester bridges will be replaced next year.  The Bronson bridge is expected to commence in 2023.  Orangeville will be closed for the duration of the project to Rochester Street. Cross streets will be open, and Raymond at times will be closed.

7.3 Civic Hospital

At FEDCO earlier today, the Councillor raised questions about the Civic Hospital development, including regarding transit. It looks like the City will not be moving the LRT transit station to the south side, but they may construct an overpass for people to cross.  Sue said she thought they still were in conversations to move it to the south side.  The importance of having the transit system on the south side of Carling was expressed.

7.4 Traffic Calming

The councillor’s office has implemented some traffic calming measures in our area.  There were some issues where the JHS street closure occurred on Bell. The flex stakes were in the way, so were removed.

7.5 Airbnb Rules

Council approved the new Airbnb rules. You can now only rent out your primary residence and you cannot convert apartments to Airbnb rentals.  There are different rules for rural areas, as they do not have the same concerns as within the city.

7.6 Sewer line

Many homeowners in Ottawa received letters that appeared to be from the City of Ottawa. The letter was in fact from an insurance company and they used the City of Ottawa logo. It is unclear what the agreement between the company and the city is. The councillor’s office is putting forward a motion to the City’s Environment Committee to review this and to clarify what the agreement is.

7 Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 8:31 p.m.